I Must Be Adopted

I am truly hopeful that I am adopted, and thus not as messed up as the rest of my family.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The problem with kids these days

I blame pretty much all problems with kids these days on their parents.

I recently read a story recently about the need for heftier car seats for children. Come on... These are 2, 3, and 4 year olds that need bigger car seats because children now adays are bigger than they used to be.

It's not that our genetic code has changed over the last generation or two, it's that parents are passing on their bad eating habits on to children. Now, I can almost understand your child having a weight problem as the child gets older, but at the age of 2? Are you kidding me?

Another problem. Kids these days are much more spoiled and have a greater sense of entitlement than any generation before, and I again blame the parents.

Case in point. My neighbor has two kids, ages 10ish and 15ish. They live 80 yards from the bus stop. No matter what the weather, the mother drives each kid to the bus stop and sits there with the car running (wasting gas), for 5 minutes or so until the bus comes.

This morning was a simply perfect morning. The sky was clear and the temperature was probably in the mid to upper 60's at 7:00am. I'm taking my dog for the normal morning walk, and I pass by the bus stop. There they sit. Car running, windows rolled up, waiting.

It was a beautiful morning. Yes, probably a light jacket would be required to keep the chill out if you were standing still waiting, but that's all.

Not only is each child dropped off in the morning now matter what the weather, but each child is then picked up in the afternoon, now matter what the weather. It's not even that mom walks down to the bus stop to greet the children and walk home with them. She picks them up in the car.

Now, I honestly can't say that she does the whole car thing EVER day, because I am at work 80% of the time the children arrive home from school, but the 20% of the time I'm at home over lunch playing with/walking my dog, she picks them up in the car and drives them the 80 yards home.

Sad part is that she's not the only mother/parent in the neighborhood to do this. At my count there are about 5 who use the car method. Others simply walk to the bus stop and wait with the children, or meet them at the stop in the afternoon. This I can live with. I think it's great that a parent can be home for the children after school and connect with and spend time with them.

Just leave the car in the garage. Please?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home