I Must Be Adopted

I am truly hopeful that I am adopted, and thus not as messed up as the rest of my family.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Take Me Out to the Ball Park

This past weekend, I visited our local minor league baseball team with the wife, her sister, and the father-in-law. The tickets were compliments of Comcast, and I must say they were very nice seats. 8 rows back, just to the right of the section directly behind home plate -- close enough to hear the ball hit the catcher's mitt. Thanks Comcast!

While it was clear that this was a minor league and not a MLB game, there were some pretty impressive plays by a couple of the home team's players; namely 2 or 3 one-handed plays by 2nd baseman (he'd run down a in-field ground, one-hand it, and throw it over to first to get the out), and the center fielder ran a couple of fly balls down in the outfield.

All-in-all, it was a pretty enjoyable outing, and York even won. So that got me to thinking... I wonder how good a team we are? It's our Inaugural Year, and it sometimes takes a little while for an expansion team to gel. So I went to the website, and was surprised to see that York was leading it's 4 team division with a record of 15-7 at the time. Wow! Pretty impressive.

Then I got to thinking... They've only played 22 games?!? It's the beginning of August, and I thought they had been playing a while already. Looking at the schedule, they played 24 games in the month of May alone, and only won 10 -- meaning they lost 14. I was confused. So I emailed the GM, seeking clarification.

Dear Matt,

I attended my first game last eveing, and was impressed with the entire experience; congrats!

However, when doing a little research about how well the team is doing, I got a little confused.

According to your website, and that of the Atlantic League itself, the Revolution's record is 15 Wins and 7 Loses.

Looking at the schedule and results for just the month of May, however, I notice there were 24 games played and that the revolution won only 10 of them.

How does jive with the standings? Are they 15-7 with respect to series'... meaning they've won 15 out of 22 series they've had against other teams?

I'm just a little confused.

Thanks!


This was the reply:

Let me have the media department follow up with you on this. It makes no sense to me as well.

I'll keep you posted -- I'm sure everyone is sitting, waiting with bated breath -- as to the answer. However, I'm a little disappointed that the General Manager is as confused as I am. He's been "following" the team for months now. He didn't notice that:

1) Either the stats on the websites are incorrect.

or -- and I'm guessing this is the correct version, since York lost their last series, and now have a record of 15-8

2) The Atlantic League measures Wins and Losses in a format other than just the straight number of games a team has won and lost.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Brett said...

Spoiler alert...

The Atlantic League breaks their season into two halves, each half having its own standings/records. I think the winner of half one faces winner of half two for the title, but I could be wrong about that. The Revs were awful the first time through, but have a shot at winning the second.

I'm sure Stu-pendous briefed the GM on these matters, but Matty's got bigger fish to fry (hint: they light up the sky).

21:41  
Blogger Todd said...

Brett is correct. The gimmick "league" divides its season into two halves.

15:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home