I Must Be Adopted

I am truly hopeful that I am adopted, and thus not as messed up as the rest of my family.

Sunday, July 15, 2007

1700 miles, a sighting, and a hex

Just returned from vacation in Maine. As usual (we vacation here often), things were great. The wife did her part to decrease the supply of fish and other marine life by eating as much lobster, clam chowder, and white fish as humanly possible. Went whale watching, sailed around Frenchman's Bay on a four-masted schooner, hiked through Acadia, and other such stuff.

All told we racked up 1,700 miles on the trip there and back and around. In a "I'll vouch for that fashion", I gotta say that EZ-Pass is one of the greatest things I have recently acquired. From here (PA) to Maine, the only state that I didn't use it in on the way up was Massachusetts (and Connecticut because they didn't have a toll road on the way up).

A surprise addition to this trip was a visit with Ms. Lynne W. I would like to report that she seems to be doing just fine in the wilds of Maine. We had dinner with her and friend at a nice local seafood place in Brewer, ME. Included in the dinner was some entertainment in the form of stories -- I'll post an example later. Would also like to take this time to say (because I know Ms. W reads the blog) that Traci and I liked her friend, and hope to dine with them again the next time we are in the area.



That was Maine. On the return trip home, stopped for a visit in Boston -- and as it turns out Massachusetts does accept EZ-Pass, they just don't advertise it that much. Here, I tried a new method of navigation. Turn-by-turn directions read to me by my co-pilot/navigator/wife.

- At exit 46, take Ramp (RIGHT) onto US-1 for 14.5 mi towards US-1 / Boston
- Keep STRAIGHT onto Ramp for 0.3 mi towards I-93/US-1/Boston/Cape Cod
- Keep RIGHT to stay on Ramp for 0.6 mi towards RT-28/RT-3/Storrow Dr/N. Station
- Bear LEFT (South) onto SR-28 for 65 yds towards RT-28/Copley Sq./Back Bay
...
- Bear RIGHT (East) onto SR-28 [Stuart St] for 0.2 mi

Arrive at destination -- Massachusetts General Hospital. Obviously this system needs some work, because I didn't have a reservation here. After some blind guesses, we find ourselves and then our hotel. And now the hex.

While walking around Boston (Cambridge to be exact), we decided to take a break and get something to drink. We stepped into a McDonald's, order a soda and take a table by the window. While talking to the wife, this woman a couple of tables away started yelling and slamming her hands down on her table, while looking at me. There wasn't many people in the place to begin with, and nobody between her and I. So, her rant was either directed at me, or an invisible friend sitting with her. The only word I caught was "Habib" or what sounded like Habib. The wife later said it sounded like she was speaking Creole and that she was hexing me.

Fine, I've been hexed. No biggie. The only manifestation of this hex that I could tell was that while walking back to Boston across the Harvard bridge, some homeless looking man started at me making some noise and pounding his chest. I just kept walking. That was it... apparently the lady at the McDonald's wasn't that much of a hexer after all.

As for the wife's broken knee during this whole vacation? I gave up trying to get her to use the crutch after the 2nd day -- come to think of it I don't even think she took it to dinner with Ms. W and friend, and that was the evening of the 2nd day.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Todd said...

Hey... that looks like "BlazeNet Ms. W" there... Give a friend a call sometime... PA number is still good.

23:58  
Blogger Rich B said...

Todd, if that comment is directed towards me, I do indeed plan to call you soon... I have favor/proposition for you.

If that comment is directed towards BlazeNet Ms. W, then when I talk to you, I can give your her email.

09:32  
Blogger Chuck said...

Is Ms. W getting ready for fantasy football yet?

09:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home