I Must Be Adopted

I am truly hopeful that I am adopted, and thus not as messed up as the rest of my family.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

My NOT so Super Powers

First, let me say that growing up, my favorite superhero was Spiderman. In a short while you'll understand the importance of this.

In a recent post I had made reference to a blogable event that was on-going that would be revealed soon... Well here it is.

Short time ago, I had noticed a bug bite on my hand. Upon examination, the bite was swollen, and had a red outer ring, but the area immediately around the bite was pretty much pure white. There were really no other symptoms at the time.

Upon telling the wife (she was with me when I noticed the bite), she immediately latched onto the idea that I had the beginnings of Lyme's Disease. My reaction, was "you're crazy!" As the next several days passed, joints in my right arm (hand included), shoulders, and some in my left arm started to get sore.

Researching the symptoms of Lyme disease, I had many (but not all the symptoms.) The most prominent were the red ring around the white bite, sore joints, and fatigue. I have to admit that during this period of time, I was EXTREMELY tired pretty much all the time -- I'm pretty sure it was work related, but hey... maybe I did have Lyme disease...

So I went and got tested. Results are negative. So, what was the bug bite, and reason for my symptoms? Current theory by my doctor was that I was bitten by a spider, and the spider's toxin would account for the bite mark and my sore joints... fatigue? Probably work, but could/maybe/possibly be somewhat related... but probably work.

SO... I was bitten by a spider... Given that I live less than 10 miles from the site of the worst Nuclear incident in US History, I'm hoping it was an irradiated spider... That would give me Spidey Powers! (note the Spiderman tie-in).

While waiting for my powers to develop, the wife and I talked about what they would be (she was humoring me). I told her, it would be GREAT to develop the web shooting thing, but that I was worried about where I would be shooting from. A spider pretty much shoots from their rear-end. I don't think York would appreciate me swinging around the great metropolis that it is, shooting spider web from my behind.

The fact that the movie version of Spiderman developed the web shooting from his wrists was just luck (hollywood luck). Think about it, for a spider pretty much all of their appendages are the same; what would stop me from developing the web shooters in my ankles for example? Come on... this is me and my luck we are talking about.

Super strength, improved/perfect eyesight? I'll take it, but with my luck, I'd develop the 6 extra eyes, and need another 3 pair of glasses because I'd have the same crappy vision. Nevertheless, I was optimistic.

Well, I am happy to report that it would appear that I do possess some spider powers, but true to my luck (crappy luck), it is pretty much worthless.

My power is: I can more often than not catch flies out of the air as they buzz around the house. At least I have been very successful as of late in catching flies out of mid-air.

Not such a super-power as super-powers go. Crap!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Chuck said...

Abi and I had a similar discussion one night after watching the show Heros.

I choose flying as one of the coolest powers.

I would not like to be able to read peoples minds. My logic is I do not want to know what most people are thinking.

22:37  
Blogger Brett said...

Man who catch fly with chopsticks accomplish anything.

22:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home