I Must Be Adopted

I am truly hopeful that I am adopted, and thus not as messed up as the rest of my family.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Brother's Job

As stated in previous posts, my brother works for a debt consolidation company. People call him and ask for help in resolving their debt troubles. Previous to this, he usually worked the other side of the coin... meaning he worked in collections and would call people and try to get them to pay their debt.

He used to think he dealt with stupid people before... However, that was nothing compared to what he deals with now.

Here are some choice examples (abbreviated for simplicity):

1) Man calls and asks him to wipe his debt off his record.
Jeff says, "I can't do that, but I can help you setup payment plans, consolidate your debt, reduce interest, and maybe get your creditors to accept a lower balance."
Man says, "so you can't just make it disappear?"
"Nope"
"I waited until all my credit cards were maxed before I called. I thought you could wipe it all out for me. Are you sure you can't?"

2) Man currently pays a little over $1,000 a month on credit card bills (not bad by the standards Jeff tells me about.). His total credit card debt is just north of $40,000.
Jeff works with his creditors and gets APRs reduced, and lowers the total balance to $35,000. Gets the payments down to $500 a month.
Man refuses to pay $500. Only wants to pay $100 a month on $35,000.

3) You do the math on this one.
Man calls and explains that he brings home $1,700/mo. Has wife and 2 kids. Wife is stay at home mom.
Monthly mortgage - $980
Monthly car payment ('05 Mercedes Benz SUV) - $600
Jeff's response - "You need to sell your car, and maybe even your house. I have no idea how you are getting by."
Man's response - "Credit Cards."

4) My Favorite so far.
Man - "Can you help me. They are reposessing my car."
Jeff - "Yes, we can help. When are they going to repo your car?" (for those not in the know, they will send you multiple letters giving you a drop dead date to make payments or arrangements to pay.)
Man - "Right now. Can you help?"
Jeff - "Sorry. I can't do anything to stop them right now."

Surprisingly, most of the people who call fall into the first example category. People just think these agencies can magically wipe debt away. I am truly amazed by people some times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home