I Must Be Adopted

I am truly hopeful that I am adopted, and thus not as messed up as the rest of my family.

Friday, September 08, 2006

More Wedding Stuff

Everything up until now has been moving along swimmingly... So of course, something had to go wrong.

First, (not a big problem) to get a marriage license in PA you need the following (might not be a conprehensive list of everything needed):


Driver's License or Passport - CHECK
Social Security Number - CHECK
Mother's Maiden Name - CHECK
Place of Mother's Birth - CHE... Uh-Oh!


I have no idea where the lady was born. It really wasn't something I ever thought I needed to know, so I never asked.

99.9% of the people reading this are thinking "Just ask her. Duh!". But for those of us who have been disavowed by their parents, we realize that that is not an option.

So, when pressed, the lady at the prothonotary's office said the state of PA will take the "best guess" at at least the state she was born in. I'm pretty sure I know that, so CHECK!

Now the big snaffu...

Traci and I are not having a band or a DJ -- neither of us are big dancers so why have something that we are not going to enjoy? We're paying for this, so we get what we want.

In lieu of those musical options, we opted to have a string quartet play at both the church (no organist) and at the reception. I contacted a local high school with an exceptional string quartet last spring, and made the arrangements.

Couple of weeks ago, I sent an email to the contact person for this quartet, asking for her address so that I could mail her the payment, and be done with it. This past Friday, I received my reply. She informed me that they are cancelling.

That's right. 6 weeks to go before the wedding, and I have no music. So much for planning ahead, or counting on someone to keep their word. The excuse was there was a conflict with a school event. The only thing I can think of is Homecoming.

While I appreciate their desire to attend this Rite of Juvenile Passage, they made a commitment to me months ago. However, what can I do? Call mom and dad? Yeah, that'll work...

So, I am now scrambling to find a quartet to play. Something must be happening on October 14th, as 3 out of the 4 quartets have other commitments. The 4th hasn't gotten back to me yet.

The Suburban High String Quartet will not be receiving a Christmas card from us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home