I Must Be Adopted

I am truly hopeful that I am adopted, and thus not as messed up as the rest of my family.

Monday, April 09, 2007

Just my luck

Living in PA, we are required by law to get our automobiles inspected on an annual basis; and in my area we are also required to also get our emissions inspected.

My car inspection is due in September... meaning by September 30, I have to have had my car inspected. This past September, I got my car into the garage and the inspection done on time. However, my tires failed and the garage didn't have my size tires in stock.

No problem, figured I'd just pick the car up, take it somewhere else, get tires, and then get the car re-inspected.

Everything went according to plan, except the "re-inspection" part. In case you forgot, I got married in mid-October and left the country for almost 2 weeks. Bearing in mind, I probably got the inspection done at the last possible moment, this means that we are in October by the time I got the tires. Frankly, I never got around to getting it re-inspected, and just forgot about it.

Until...

Driving back from lunch last week, I got pulled over by the fuzz because the car was out of inspection. Great!

I'd tell you what the ticket cost me, but I don't know. Apparently, it's a sliding scale, and I won't know what the cost is, until I call the local District Justice. Also, I didn't get around to making an appointment for the inspection until today.

Driving over to the garage tonight, I was once again pulled over by the local fuzz, because... my car was out of inspection.

When the officer approached the car, I knew what the deal was. Before he could say anything, I told him I knew the car was out of inspection and that I was actually on my way to the garage to drop it off at that moment. Also, pointed out that my wife was right behind me (she had pulled over behind the officer) to give me a ride back.

His response (bear in mind it's around 6:00pm) was: "Do you have any proof of this?"

I wasn't aware that you get a confirmation mailed to you from the garage when you are taking your car in for inspection. What kind of proof did he expect?

Other than my offer to follow me the final 2 miles and watch me drop the keys into the after hours box, I had no proof to offer.

I would like to tell you that officer Bob (I'm making the name up) let me go with a warning.

I'll let you know what the ticket costs me once I find out.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Chuck said...

First of all the whole missing you inspection and not remembering until 6 months later is a Kirby move if I ever heard one. If not for the fact that you got married and left the country!

Sucks getting hit twice for the same violation.

Did you point out that your wife is a lawyer and would be defending you when this case went to the courts? Maybe that would have helped?

I say appeal it all the way to the supreme court! I am sure the liberals in Washington would let you off.

12:10  
Blogger Brett said...

That's some lousy luck, and some lousy officering. I guess The Man's only saving grace could be in the vague detail of "driving back from lunch last week." Was this Monday/Tuesday last week or Thursday/Friday last week?

13:02  
Blogger Old Man Kirby said...

Man that does sound like something i would do! I guess since I no longer work in York someone has to keep the officers busy. Also Chuck sucks! He never answers his damn phone and won't even call me back..that bastard.

11:26  
Blogger Old Man Kirby said...

I forgot Allison also got pulled over for lack of inspection while doing something related to your wedding, i think it was the rehearsal.

11:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home