I Must Be Adopted

I am truly hopeful that I am adopted, and thus not as messed up as the rest of my family.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Capital One -- No Hassle My Ass!

Long story short, at one point had a credit card that I shared with my brother -- he used it, but he needed me on the account to have it. This account has since been closed, but I am now playing the "move the balance game" with zero interest credit cards. The idea is that he pays the balance off, but I'm trying to save him interest charges.

I, however, got tired of playing this game and just paid the balance off. I had called Capital One, and asked for the pay-off amount. They gave me the 10-day pay-off, and I sent the money, via an electronic transfer from my bank (I pay all my bills online, and apparently my bank sends all funds to Capital One electronically.)

When I called in mid-April, I asked for the pay-off amount and closed the account, I was informed that the balance would need to stay at $0 for 1 full billing cycle. No problem; never used the card to begin with.

Well, it turns out that the money got there too quickly, and I wound up with a $0.32 credit. Just realized this yesterday when I got my statement. The fact that I got a statement made me skepitcal -- why would I get a statement for a closed account? Yep, there's a credit, but wouldn't they just keep it since it's less than a dollar (just like the IRS does), or shouldn't then send me a check?

So I called this morning.

They are now sending me the $0.32, but my account needs to be at $0 for one full billing cycle before the account closes. Spoke with a supervisor... same song and dance.

"So, let me get this straight. My money got there too quickly, and I wound up with a credit. Your organization had access to my extra money for a month now, and because of this, I am now penalized? I can't close my account?"

Yep.

So when will my account be closed? August 4th (my next billing cycle starts on July 4th). The billing cycle from July 4th to August 3rd will be the first full billing cycle with $0 balance.

No Hassle my ASS!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Old Man Kirby said...

what's in your wallet?

08:43  
Blogger Rich B said...

Chase Freedom Card!

Cash Back -- 1% on most things, 3% on grocery, gas, fast food.

08:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home