I Must Be Adopted

I am truly hopeful that I am adopted, and thus not as messed up as the rest of my family.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Game Console Hell

This very moment, I have 3 game consoles sitting in my living room:

- Nintendo Wii (unopened)
- Microsoft Xbox 360
- Sony Playstation 3

Here's how it happened, and which one I'm going to keep -- the answer may surprise you.

For my MBA Graduation, I told myself "Self, I'm going to buy you a Playstation 3 and Madden '07." -- Madden '07 is the only game I REALLY want to play. Anything else is just a bonus.

However, I'm sure all of you know just how difficult these little puppies (PS3's) are to find. Needless to say, I did not purchase a Playstation 3 the minute they came out, nor did I purchase one in the calendar year of 2006.

As it turns out, I had vacation the week between Xmas and New Years, so after much hem-hawing, I went out in search of a game console -- figured I would end up with an Xbox 360, but that I would try them all (all that were available) and pick the one I wanted. Deep down, I figured I would get the PS2 or the Wii (spend as little as possible) and just wait till summertime and pick-up a PS3 when they became commonplace.

Stopped into Target @ 9:30am on a Wednesday. They had just gotten 23 Wii's in @ 9am, and only had 5 left. While I stood and stared at the Wii display (5 minutes) 2 of these 5 were sold. Figured I would pick one up, and at the very least sell on eBay or return to store if that didn't work out. That is still the plan, and you can purchase my Wii off of eBay if you would like.

At the same time, I picked up my XBox 360 Premium, Madden '07, and an extra wireless controller. Got home, setup the XBox and played some Madden. VERY good!! 1080i HD graphics on a 65" HD screen.

When I arrive back into work today, I discover that our local GameStop has a supply of Playstation 3's in stock. I'm told they have "tons". Short version of this is that at 1pm, I bought the last one. Also purchased Madden '07. My plan was either return the XBox to Target if they would accept it, or sell it to friend/eBay -- knew I would take a loss, but I got what I wanted -- Playstation 3.

Got home after work, and setup it up. Took some time -- downloaded an update, created account on Sony Store, etc...

Booted Madden '07. At this point, my heart sank. Madden '07 on PS3 only supports 480i/480p/720p -- no 1080i. My TV does not support 720p as a native resolution. When I watch ABC (ESPN included) or CBS the cable box converts their 720p broadcasts into 1080i for my TV, so I get to watch the content in HD -- NBC and other stations broadcast in 1080i natively... Right now, there is a split between which format the broadcasters use. Those who broadcast fast moving pictures (sports) generally choose 720p -- less pixalization. The rest seem to choose 1080i -- crisper picture.

Madden booted to the best resolution that both the game and my TV support -- 480p. Don't know if you've ever seen 480 on a large screen, but it's not pretty. Not when you are used to High-Def content.

Even had Traci compare the video (she is NOT a video gamer in the least -- not even technologically inclined). The XBox blew the PS3 away in graphics... Solely because of the 1080i v. 480p resolution, but that's what I have, so that's what I have to compare.

Bottom line, out of all the game consoles sitting down stairs now, I could have saved myself a lot of grief/time/trouble and just purchased the XBox from the beginning. The problems with that are:

1) I HATE Microsoft, and loathe giving them money.
2) I wouldn't have known what I was missing with the PS3, until I got it home. In stores, they always have the console attached to a TV screen that can support 720p and 1080i, so you get the best possible resolution for the game you are watching/demoing.

Anybody want to buy a very slightly used PS3 and Madden '07 combo?

4 Comments:

Blogger Chuck said...

Having a 720p television it would seem to make sense that I would upgrade my ps2 BUT, I can not justify the $600 cost. I look forward to the first XBox night at your house! Do they make Guitar Hero for the XBox? Maybe a former BlazeNet employee/gamer would want to buy your PS3. Josh?

08:48  
Blogger Todd said...

Is he working again yet... I haven't heard any update on him in a while. If he's still looking, maybe his "roommate" would buy it.

14:33  
Blogger Chuck said...

So its the game and not the PS3?

07:42  
Blogger Rich B said...

Yes, It's the game... BUT at the same time, I cannot justify $650 for a console that has lousy graphics on the one game I want to play.

10:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home