I Must Be Adopted

I am truly hopeful that I am adopted, and thus not as messed up as the rest of my family.

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Credit Card Companies and the Internet

To have the reader feel the same level of frustration I felt from this encounter, I will not abridge the events. I was frustrated by the end of this, and hope you will be too.

I recently switched to a new credit card -- Chase Freedom. I look for cards that give me cash back, and this card appears to offer the best program. Just bear in mind, that these programs (mileage, cash back, points, etc.) are only worthwhile if you pay the balances off each month.

I digress... Traci's 2007 initiative is to update her wardrobe. She has been inspired by the TLC show "What Not To Wear." To that end, she has saved up a sizeable amount of money on her own (we each get a monthly allowance), and we've set aside a significant amount from the "house fund" to fund this initiative.

The purchases have begun. Starting with the after Christmas sales, she has been purchasing with wanton abandon -- she assures me she has a plan. I say "I don't care. You have the set amount you can spend, buy whatever you want; just not a penny more."

The other day, she calls me at home during lunch. Turns out, her new credit card had been denied while trying to make a purchase on-line over her lunch period. I tell her to just use the old one, and that I would call Chase to see what's up. Here's the conversation:

"Please enter 16-digit account number." BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP (x4)
"Please enter your 5 digit zip code." BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP
"Please enter the last 4 digits of the primary card holders SSN." BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP
"Please enter the first 3 letters of your mother's maiden name." BEEP-BEEP-BEEP
"To help us verify your identity, please confirm these 5 transactions." It then lists 5 transactions from the first week in December.
- $2.85 at a grocery store
- $15.87 at a gas station
- 3 other transaction, I can only guess are legit

"Thank-you. Press 1 for blah, 2 for blah, 3 for blah or press 0 for assitance." 0

After a short wait, "Thank you for holding, may I please have your account number?"

"I already entered it."
"I need it again." I give her the account number, AND answer the same series of questions as before. I then explain that my wife's card had been denied.

"Yes, there is a hold on your account. I need to transfer you to the security department. Please hold."

Short wait, and then want to guess the first question?

"May I please have your account number?" WHAT?!?! OK, here we go again. Account number and the same questions.

"Please hold while I access your account." 30 seconds later.
"I need to ask you some additional questions."
"Please verify these 3 transactions" She then lists different 3 transactions. They sound legit.
"Please describe the age range of Joann . Is she between 16-20, 21-26..."
"I don't know a Joann. Who's Joann?"
"Just needed to verify you are the real card holder."

"There was a hold placed on the account because your wife tried to purchase something from the Internet."

At this point, I was floored. "Yep, she sure did. And she's going to do it again real soon. I may even purchase from this new fangled Internet thingy." (yes I actually said that)

The transaction apparently looked suspicious. She was trying to purchase from Talbots' website. For those who have not heard of Talbots, it's a somewhat upscale clothing store.

I explained, that we frequently purchase from the "Internet Thingy", and that if I had to call in everytime to clear a hold placed on my account, I would be cancelling the card.

Upon further investigation, the "questionable" activity was that:
She purchased in-store Wednesday evening from Talbots.
She purchased via-phone from the Lancaster Talbots store Wednesday evening -- the one in York didn't have this particular item.
She tried to purchase yet another item Thursday, that neither store had via the Net.

My point is that if she purchased from Talbots in person (Wednesday evening), what's the chances that a person who stole her identity (card) would purchase via the Net from the same store?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home