I Must Be Adopted

I am truly hopeful that I am adopted, and thus not as messed up as the rest of my family.

Monday, April 23, 2007

1 Post, 2 Stories

Several others have pulled this off, so I decided I'll give it a try.

Did some landscape work around the house this weekend and took today off to finish some of it up. That being said, I needed a vehicle to transport some trees and some bushes. So I call up Sean and ask to borrow his beater truck.

Being the friend Sean is, he says no problem. However, since his truck's vehicle inspection expired in October of 2005, and knowing my recent run in with my vehicle inspection he makes the statement that he is not responsible for an fine or citation that should be incurred, if I'm stopped by officer Todd W (or anybody else for that matter).

OK.

So, I'm driving up Route 74 towards Dover square, while on my way to a nursery north of Dover. Dover square is under construction, and I'm patiently waiting 6 cars back from the sign turner (the person who's only job in the world is turn the sign from STOP to SLOW to STOP to SLOW... all day long).

Picture it, I'm south of the square, heading north. I'm far enough back from the square that I can't see it clearing, but again, I'm only 6 cars back from the sign turner. Sitting there, I watch 4 or 5 groups of cars drive by me -- we haven't moved yet.

Being a normal 4 way intersection, I'm thinking this means that the other 3 directions have been allowed to move... Why not us.

Story 1 - At this point a police car from NYCRPD comes driving by us in the opposite direction... He's driving slowly and looking at the line of cars in front of me... I can only think that he's checking out our inspection stickers. At this point, my thinking "Oh CRAP!", but I'm trying to watch him out of the corner of my eye, yet seem to be nonchalant about the whole situation.

He drives by me, and I can see no visible sign of recognition of anything. So I watch him in the side view... As soon as he passes me, I see brake lights. CRAP! Then he continues on. Every couple of cars I see brake lights, and at any point in time, I'm just waiting for him to somehow turn around and come back up to me. I can't see how this is possible, but until he disappears, I just don't feel comfortable. Finally he disappears down the hill and around the corner. Gone. WHEW!

Story 2 - By the time the police car disappears, another group or 2 have started to pass by me. The line of cars that extend behind me is at least .5 miles if not longer. Some people are turning around and finding other ways to get to where they want to go, but I want to head directly north... I'm not headed in any other direction. Eventually I wind up being 2nd in line to the sign turner. I'm close enough to have a "conversation" with the sign turner... Goes a little something like this.

"When are we going to get a chance to go?"

"When I turn my sign. Have I turned my sign, yet?" -- I wasn't the first to have a conversation with her.

"I've seen 6 or 7 groups of cars go by. They're coming from somewhere. Why don't you turn your sign so we can go. It's not even our lane that's under construction."

"There are other lanes of traffic, and a signal to deal with. You'll get your turn."

"I don't think you understand. 6 or 7 groups of cars means that the other lanes have each gotten to go, probably more than once, while I've been sitting here, patiently waiting for you to turn your sign."

"You'll go when I turn my sign."

"Why don't use that walkie/talkie thing and ask when we can go. I realize there's a reason you turn a sign for a living, but come on... "

30 seconds later, she turns her sign. While driving by, we exchange pleasantries and wish each other a great day.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home